NEW ZEALAND'S GREAT WALKS
New Zealand's unspoilt natural beauty, its wave-pounded coastlines, high mountain ranges, tumbling waterfalls and glacial lakes, can best be explored first hand on a tramp or hike.
The Department of Conservation (DOC) has classified eight of New Zealand's finest and most popular hikes as Great Walks, but they are not literally a walk in the park. Most take several days and often cross high passes in unpredictable weather conditions - they are tramps, not walks. The Whanganui Journey, a canoe or kayak trip on New Zealand's longest navigable river, is also included in the Great Walks network.
- Overview of the 8 "Great Walks" of New Zealand
- Great Walks: Practical Tips
- Great Walk: Lake Waikaremoana Track
- Great Walk: Tongariro Northern Circuit
- Great Walk: Abel Tasman Coast Track
- Great Walk: Heaphy Track
- Great Walk: Milford Track
- Great Walk: Routeburn Track
- Great Walk: Kepler Track
- Great Walk: Rakiura Track